Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Word Work Wednesday

Anyone else use this?
In my experience, everyone who uses Words Their Way has "their own way" of organizing materials and procedures. I started mid-year and luckily a teammate had all the word cards and quizzes made. Otherwise I may have gone bananas. Most people have students use a composition book to keep track of their word study... BUT I decided it was a waste. Think about it. Kids get new words each week, right? Well there are about 35 weeks of school where I live. So if all they use their journal for is to write the rules, sort them, and possibly glue them in.... that's like 35 pages using fronts and backs.

Another problem we have is that many students don't show up to school with pencils much less a composition book. So I decided to create a printable word study journal that could be customized for each spelling group. After giving the spelling inventory and deciding where to start each group, I would take out the unneeded lessons, copy, and use the binding machine to put it together. For example, if I want to start a group at the beginning of the Within Word Pattern, I will take out lessons 1-22 and copy starting at lesson 23. For students starting at lesson 1, I would take out the extra lessons from the back that we wouldn't get to.



I know there's nothing super special about it, but I think it will save me a lot of time, and hope I can for you too!

P.S. Don't forget to enter my Shoe-tastic giveaway! Anyone can enter!

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I love WTW, but their notebooks are a mess by December. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I was using a folder with 3 pronged holes for WTW and it worked okay but I like this so much better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much!! My firsties always have a tough time when we use a composition book. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! i love the materials of how easily you made words their way. Any chance you have the list of the rules?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. This is ingenious and I would gladly have paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I know I am a bit late with this one, as it was posted over a year ago (haha), but I still like this. ;)
    I have used WTW with my fourth graders in the past, but I moved to first this year and just haven't quite made myself at home in my classroom yet. Long story, but it ends with "UGH!!" Haha!

    Anyway. I'm your newest follower, and (even though I've been off the grid for a few weeks) I'd love for you to stop by my blog! I'll be updating it soon. :)

    -Carrie
    Floating Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Thanks for this great resource! Do you get the rules from the WTW books or do you make them up based on the sorts? I would appreciate any information you have on this.

    Thanks,
    Erin

    emitch429@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete