Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I Survived the First Day!

So I survived the first day and even had enough energy to blog about it! Actually, I was on my computer ordering my "I survived the first day of school pizza." But let's not split hairs. What is it about the first day of school that makes you (or maybe just me) crave fast food? I guess it has something to do with not eating anything all day and stressing about how kids are going home.

Is this a big problem at your schools? On the first day of school I can count on about half of my kids knowing their transportation. That leaves a lot of room for Freak Out! The kids are supposed to get stickers when they get off the bus in the morning but a lot of parents want to drop them off the first day so no stickers. That would be fine with me if the parents would tell me how they were then supposed to go home. But no, most of the time the parents don't even know what their child's bus number is. It all works out in the end because the school has a good system for getting the teachers all that information before the end of the day but it is enough to give someone a full on panic attack! Actually, one of my students rode the wrong bus home today because whoever called to confirm his bus number wrote down the wrong number. The bus driver brought him back to school and he was picked up. I'm always so worried the kids will get lost the first day! OK, enough about that.

If I had this blog during the last school year then you might have a little bit of an idea how different this group of kids are. But I was too busy pulling my hair and crying my eyes out last year to have time to blog. The whole second grade had the classes from you know where. There were 6 second grade classes and every one had 5-8 behavior problems. That was just a crazy group, and it didn't kill me so I assume it made me stronger but that's still to be determined. This group is much better, but very squirmy. They have no clue how to sit on the carpet. So that will be my first lesson tomorrow. :) On the up-side, they are MUCH better at telling time. It's so funny the trends you see in academics with an entire class. Last year you could tell the teachers focused on money, because that was much stronger than the year before. And this year already my kids are great at telling time.

Even though these ducklings are much better behaved than last year's, I still have a few outliers. The kids other teachers tell you to worry about are usually the ones I love the most so I try not to listen to that too much. We just need to find how we will "fit together" and I'm sure these squirlly ones will be new faves. It just takes a bit longer.

OK, gotta go. Pizza man is here! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

4 comments:

  1. So glad your first day went well!! I'm a spaz the first few days too about making sure my kids get home the right way. That is the one thing the principal gets super mad about.....nothing like a little pressure...lol. I also don't listen to what other teachers tell me about my new kids. I learned a few years ago....someone else's 10 on the behavior scale is usually a 1 or 2 for me. All kids need someone to love them and teach them:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't lose anyone! I totally get the fast food thing - we had McDonald's for dinner our first night lol. It always boggles my mind that my "faves" are not the next teacher's "faves" as well - but I think every teacher rubs along better with different personalities.

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally impressed that you still had energy to blog!

    Yes, I stress every year the first few days about how the kids are getting home. Even though ours have their bus numbers written in marker on their hands, you're right - they sometimes go home via pick-up or go to aftercare. I don't know how our office handles what must be 5,000 phone calls and bus notes on those first few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are cracking me up!!!! Glad your first day is over. Go enjoy that pizza! :) You deserve it!
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete