Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

More Pigeon

So last week I shared my Thanksgiving Pigeon book and I have one more Pigeon story to show you. Every year our grade level uses the "make your own book" kits to publish a hard-back class book. I forget the name of the company we use, but they send the kits to us for free and each classroom gets a free copy. Last year we were working on our book right around the same time we were studying Ancient Egypt so we created.....
 (Also inspired by the book, "You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy")

I basically used the same format from the Thanksgiving book and had the kids add facts about Egypt in the scarab beetles on each page. We had been looking at nonfiction books as mentor texts and the kids' favorites were the ones that mixed fact into a fictional storyline. I didn't take pictures of every page, just the standout pigeon pages.

 The bus driver took the pigeon on a field trip to the Smithsonian!

We talked a lot about the pigeon's eyes, and how putting the pupil in different places could show different emotions. 

I love this one! Feel the emotion?

Illustration technique: showing motion by drawing multiples of the same character 

Can you tell what the pigeon wants to be next? I guess I totally spaced on taking a picture of the pigeon dreaming of being a Terracotta Warrior. My bad.

1 comment:

  1. We use the same company. I think it's called Student Treasures.

    Becky
    http://ep2ndgraderocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete