We started the week by reviewing the difference between wants and needs. After that we read the book Roxaboxen by Alice McClerran and talked and what a town needs to function properly. We discussed that a town needs more than just the things that meet our basic personal needs (food, clothing, shelter, water) but also needs systems that create order and keep everyone safe, healthy, and relatively happy.The kids made lists and I copied each suggestion onto index cards. Today we looked at all the cards and sorted them into categories. After discussion, we named and defined each category in terms of Goods and/or Services. Our categories were:
- Entertainment - SERVICES that provide you with fun
- Shopping - Places where townspeople can buy GOODS
- Food - this one had two subcategories
- Restaurants - Places that provide the SERVICE of cooking your meal
- Grocery Stores/Markets - Places where townspeople can buy GOODS that are food items
- Public Services - SERVICES that everyone in the community will use regularly (for example the power company, post office, police, schools, town hall)
- Choice Services - SERVICES that people can choose to use, or use sparingly (for example the gym, auto mechanic, nail salon, daycare service)
We also elected a town mayor, and thankfully Jennine won. Although I'm not sure she wanted to be the mayor of Crazytown.....
Tomorrow we will elect District Representatives (one from each table group), vote on a town name, and create a town motto.