So the collecting began! Everyone helped us collect. Friends, families, students, neighbors, churches, businesses, even the FBI. A friend in a Severe Disabilities class kept the caps for us and her kids sorted them to work on their specific goals and objectives. So when I finally got around to visiting her room about a month ago to see what we had accumulated I was flabbergasted!
And I didn't think to take a picture until after we had already worked on the mural a good bit. I asked the kids to stay after school to get the process started. I thought it would be best to do the detail work with a smaller group and some parent helpers.... 13 kids brought back their permission form to stay after school and only one parent volunteered to stay and help. Thankfully there was still a lot of sorting left to be done. After that first session, we got most of the detail work done.
Then it was just a mad rush to get everything filled in and completed so my dad could install it before the school year was over. Here's the finished product!
My dad came to help me after school and we promptly realized we needed more hands! So I ran out in the hall and grabbed our one and only male teacher to help us. It was only after he was at the top of the ladder that he informed me that he "wasn't crazy about heights".... Ooops.
After standing back to give it a good look, my dad said "it sure puts everything else up here to shame!" Guess that was his way of saying good job! :) I can't wait to see and hear the other students' reactions when they see it next week for the first time!
PS - we barely put a dent in the bottle cap stash. One of my parents informed me that a family they knew collected caps for a child with cancer to help pay medical and home bills. I sent home three trash bags full of nothing but clear bottle caps and we still have more than half of what we started with! I will probably use some as counters, and maybe even do the same project in a scaled down version.