Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014


Considering the fact that I left my last post with the phrase "I'll be back when I have more positive things to say," and that was 9 MONTHS AGO, does not say a lot about how my year at this new school has been going.... Well... It's been interesting. I guess the best way to update you is to address my list of grievances from September:

1.  I no longer feel like a new teacher, thank GOD! I guess getting used to a new school along with all the usual start-of-the-school year drama makes for an exhausting start. It took me a while and there are still things I'm learning but I feel like I am part of the staff now rather than an outsider.  The school I moved to is known for having a very stable faculty. Teachers come and they don't leave until they retire basically. That's good, except for these ladies have completely forgotten what it is like to be new. When I have asked about things, staff members have actually said, "I guess I should have told you that but I keep forgetting you're new." Umm... thanks?

2.  The team. Well, it's been about a year and I am still missing my ladies hardcore. Again, my team is wonderful but I don't feel like we have a relationship. I need to work with people who I can be silly with and laugh with and cry with... This was a big factor in a decision I made today...

3.  Procedures. I think I've got it down finally. There are still things I don't like, but they are small potatoes all things considered.

4.  Resources. This still sucks. No whiteboards. Running out of paper. I hate that I have to go hunt down the art teacher every time I need construction paper. I guess it's time to get on Donor's Choose...

While it seems like I've been doing nothing but whining, I have to say that I am 110% happy with my decision to change schools. The working environment is so much more positive than that of my old school and I feel happier in my job than I have in a long time.

Now to break the news of the "decision" I made today (and hinted at earlier in this post). When I originally accepted this position, it came with the expectation that next year I would move down to First Grade with my team to start a new 2-year loop with a fresh batch of students. I've done a lot of reflecting on myself as a teacher and I came to the realization that I would not be a good fit for the first grade age group. I have been stressing out about having babies next year so much that I've already started having school nightmares about next year's class. So when a third grade position opened up at my school, with an AMAZING team of fun and spirited ladies, I decided to jump on it. I broke the news to my team today and I felt a huge weight of stress lifted from my shoulders after everything was made official. Now I'm finding that I have something new to be excited about! I'm hoping that I will get to loop up with the majority of my kids but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for sticking with me through the prolonged periods of silence!

As always,

No comments:

Post a Comment